![]() |
| My trusty Dexcom sensor |
Dealing with this for the past few months has given me such a different perspective on managing my patients with gestational diabetes, both from a diet and medication standpoint, as well as from a personal interaction standpoint. We've been taught that the best way to manage diet is to follow what's known as the Jovanovic diet, and for many women that does work best. But I have discovered that my sugars do much better with following the similar 3 meals and 3 snacks a day regimen as is prescribed with the diet, but with less carbs at lunch and supper. I have a better idea of when NPH insulin works, and when Levemir is better. And I know firsthand what it's like to look a donut in the face and think, "Is this food worth the health of my baby?"
Damn, it's hard to follow this diet! Intellectually I knew that, but it is so much different to live it. And I'm lucky enough to really understand the diet and insulin before getting the diagnosis (or should I say, giving myself the diagnosis), so I didn't need lots of training. I have access to things like a continuous sensor (I now can't imagine having insulin requiring diabetes without having a sensor!), and other endocrinologists and diabetes educators to bounce ideas off as I've tried to manage my sugars the past few weeks. I think it's much easier for me than it is the average patient, and yet it's still frustrating. I hope that this experience makes it easier for me to help my patients; I know that it has already made it easier for my patients to accept my recommendations once I share with them that I also have GDM, and that I'm also taking insulin.
I haven't eaten Fruity Pebbles in years, and yet that's all I think about when someone asks me what I want to eat. Fruity Pebbles, PopTarts, Oreos, donuts, Peeps, milkshakes (I had one almost every day of my 3rd trimester with Finn), bagels, pasta and pizza all dominate my daydreams. I cannot wait to be able to eat whatever I want to once this baby boy is finally born.
But on the bright side - I've eaten so much healthier this pregnancy than I did with Finn. I have a leafy green salad for lunch every day, I'm eating tons of veggies and a reasonable amount of fruit. And I've actually lost two pounds in the past month. I'm pretty sure that while I started out this pregnancy 10 pounds heavier than I did my last pregnancy, I'm now just a few pounds over where I was at this point with Finn. While my stomach has gotten bigger, the rest of me has not, and that has been really lovely.
Is it wrong that one of the main reasons I hope I can exclusively breastfeed again this time is so that I can eat whatever I want and still lose weight?













I also had GD, diagnosed at 20 weeks. I felt a bit cheated out of the true pregnancy experience in that sense. All I wanted was a DQ Blizzard, but never had one since I was controlling my GD strictly through my diet. It is frustrating, but I kept reminding myself that it would go away after he was born. Stay strong, you will get there!
ReplyDeleteOh, I dream about the fun crap I'm going to get to eat while breastfeeding all the time. Totally normal!
ReplyDeleteWith no experience with GD, I can only say that it is interesting what helps us to understand others better. :-)
ReplyDeleteI can totally sympathize about the dreaming of all the foods you can eat once you deliver. Yes I know I'm diabetic all the time, but you know it's not the same as GD. I made a Freedom Food list for after I delivered Bonnie, and I made a point to eat all the things on the list (not at the same time of course). Cereal, oreos, poptarts, and donuts were on my list too! I will say though, that as tough as the diet can be I am thankful I had to be on it, because I know myself and I would have gained a fat cow amount of weight otherwise.
ReplyDeleteYou really impress me with your knowledge and how wonderful you can use this experience to empathize and help your patients more too!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could motivate myself to eat as healthily now as I did while I was pregnant. But it's like you say, when I'm just eating for me, I want to eat whatever I want!!
ReplyDeleteI've always appreciated when my health care providers share that they have personally dealt with what I'm dealing with. I'm sure you're a fantastic doctor already but this will really help you connect with your patients even better.
ReplyDeleteI'll bet the restrictive diet is harder than you're making it sound but I'm glad you are looking at the positive side of it. It's quite inspiring.
I'm late to respond, but I had gestational diabetes. I was on the diet starting at week 7 this time, but I lost A LOT of weight so I kind of went off it until I hit my prepregnancy weight or the baby grew. I'll be back on the diet after Christmas which coincides with my glucose testing. It was extremely challenging. My resting numbers were almost always high and my doctor constantly nagged me to gain weight which was very stressful even though both were somewhat out of my control what with sleeping and a strict diet. I gained very little weight the first time though so that was lucky and I lost it all almost immediately. I hope to be a better breastfeeder this time (last time, Laura was in the hospital for 3 days and we were in the ER when my milk came in with no pump and tons of stress so I was a pretty weak breastfeeder. She lost so much weight, we were supplementing anyway with formula so it was easy to be lazy about it.
ReplyDeleteSo far, this time has been totally different so we'll see, but it's good to be able to watch my sugars throughout.