Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Let's Get This Party Started!

I got my next round of TTC underway this morning with a bang.  First, I gave myself my first shot of Lupron.  I was sent 28g insulin syringes.  Really?  Really?  What is the deal with that?  Those things HURT!  Maybe not like progesterone in oil, but still, they hurt.  They make 32g insulin syringes - so tiny that you can barely see the needle, why the 28?  Is the thought that those of us going through IF treatments are tough?  That we feel stronger because of the pain?  Or is it because reproductive endocrinologists never prescribe insulin, and therefore realize there are better options out there?  At any rate, after confirming that there was no real reason to use such a huge needle, I brought home samples of the tiny syringes and used that this morning.  I didn't feel a thing, but Finn was very worried about my boo-boo on my tummy.  I will have to find a way to inject next time when he's not looking.

Immediately after my first shot, I got in the car and headed to my RE.  I had a little bit of a wait, and then Dr M was there to do my endometrial scratch biopsy.  They don't do them there routinely (the theory is that when you take some tissue from the endometrial lining, it stimulates various chemicals and growth factors that improve implantation the following cycle), but he's read the literature and is considering doing it for some women with unexplained IF.  He talked to me about the studies, and then talked to me about RBA and sang their praises.  He was thrilled I had chosen to go there, and knows all about their data, their egg vitrification process and agrees this was the best choice for me.  He also confirmed what I suspected, that this route was cheaper than doing the DE route with his office.

Then he did the scratch biopsy.  I'd read varying reports on what it felt like, so I was feeling pretty nervous.  He put the speculum in, cleaned it off with betadine and then said, "Ok, you'll feel a little pinch." We chatted just a bit, and then just as it started to feel uncomfortable he said, "We're done!" And that was that.  He showed me what the endometrial lining looked like (bloody snot) and we chatted for another minute or so, "I hope you'll come here to have your viability scan done when you get pregnant!" and I was on my way.

I'll be on Lupron every day for just about the next 5 weeks.  I'll stay on birth control pills until next week, then stop, wait for my period and then start estrogen patches right around the beginning of May.  My failed IUI cycle in January feels so long ago; I can't believe it's finally time for me to take medications to get this DE cycle going!

24 comments:

  1. You're on your way!!! So exciting :)
    Sorry about the needles, that does not sound fun :( What a sweetheart Finn is worrying about your boo boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!!! I pray you get your BFP this time around and Finn becomes a big brother SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting!!! It must be thrilling to know you're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five weeks of lupron? I can't remember if I was on it that long. Hmmmmm.

    But exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you. The scratch will help implantation for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited for you. Sending good thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sending good thoughts your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! So glad you had the biopsy. I had it three times and got pregnant each time (only two actually stuck). Here's to an easy round of t42

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to finally be starting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! Wishing you the best of luck as you start all this! I hope this IVF cycle is all super straight forward, as easy as possible, and works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be so nice to be getting moving! And glad you had access to some smaller syringes - as if the process wasn't painful enough without too-big needles!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exciting! This cycle came up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, how exciting. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck with this cycle!

    (I had never heard of scratch biopsies before -- interesting!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just thinking about you today. It seems like more doctors are doing the scratch biopsy now. The reasoning sounds good to me.

    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excited to be able to follow your journey! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good news. It must feel wonderful to finally get started!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!! That's great that things with your cycle are getting underway!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah for getting started (I am sorry I am little late!) Hope the Lupron is being nice to you!!! Looking forward to following your journey & cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on being on the road to baby #2! And I'm glad you were able to get yourself some smaller needles. So silly that they sent you such huge ones for no good reason! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your RE sounds great. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete