Thursday, December 29, 2011

Learning to Parent

Finn and MeMy sister and her family left this morning.  It's amazing how quiet the house is with them gone.  Finn loved spending time with his cousins, though I think the constant stimulation, attention and recurrent close brushes with severe injury has worn him out.  He slept for 12 hours last night, and has already taken an almost 2 hour nap this morning!

It's interesting watching my parents with the boys...my sister and I have gained a lot of insight into how we were raised since the boys have come into our lives.  My mom adores her grandsons, but on her terms.  She will never be the grandmom that plays with her grandkids for hours.  Instead, she'll be the one that smothers them with attention as long as it doesn't interfere with her schedule too much.  The day after Christmas, we watched her sit on the couch, reading the paper while the boys played on the floor in front of her and tried to get her to play with them - she didn't even respond.  My dad is much more involved with the children, and they adore him, but he really has no idea how to handle discipline issues or a fussy baby.  I'm pretty sure that his grandparenting style is fairly similar to his parenting style, and while I don't remember clearly, I think my mom's may be the same as well.

My sister has the reputation as being the difficult child.  She cried all the time from the time she was an older infant on into her early school years.  She never seemed like she felt settled or secure until she was well into elementary school.  Flash forward a few decades to when D was around 2. J told our mom she didn't want to go shopping at the time our mom wanted to go, because it would interfere with D's nap.  My mom's response, "He'll be fine, he needs to learn to to be flexible," and later Mom complained to me about how J let herself be controlled by D's needs.  I told her that J knew that D didn't do well if he didn't nap and eat his meals on a regular schedule, and my mom actually snorted at me in response.

Later J and I talked about it, and came to the conclusion that all of J's crying as a child was probably related to her need for a schedule, and the fact that my parents didn't give it to her.  Based on her experiences when D didn't follow his usual schedule, we're pretty sure that he would have been just as bad as she had been, if J hadn't been an observant parent and responded to her son's needs appropriately.

My parents did do the most important thing right: I always felt loved as a child, and I feel loved by my parents as an adult child.  But I don't feel as though they were as involved in my life as they could have been or should have been.  My mom was a stay at home mom until I was in 1st grade, but my memories as a child that age center around me playing alone either with my record player in my room or out on my swing set.  I remember running errands with my mom, but I don't ever remember playing with her.  I don't remember her helping me with school work or reading with me once I could read on my own.  I know I never felt comfortable talking to her when I had fights with friends, much less trouble with boys later on.

Even before Finn was born, I knew I wanted to have a different parenting style than my parents.  I've read books, talked to friends and watched other people with their children, and have been gradually putting together something that works for me; I guess the closest thing to a description is "attachment parenting" though I'm not strictly following it by the book.  It's been difficult when my parents are around, because they can't help but criticize the way I parent since it's so different than how they did things.  It's helping that I've already seen some instances where I ignored their comments, and things have worked out fine.  One example is how both my parents constantly told me I needed to put Finn down more often when he was a newborn.  "Don't hold him all the time, he'll get spoiled and never want to be put down at all."  I ignored them, and I now have a baby who is happy to play on the floor by himself, as long as I'm somewhere nearby.  He knows I'm there if he needs me, so he's secure without me constantly holding him.

It also helps, reading scenarios in books that I can directly relate to my own experiences growing up.  In Superbaby, the author recommends avoiding labels with children, instead trying to praise them or thank them (or even describe them) based on their specific actions.  That really jumped out at me, since I remember always being labeled as "shy" and "smart" when I was a child.  That label of being shy really stuck with me, but the truth is, it isn't accurate at all.  I'm not shy, I'm just reserved in new situations.  I like to sit back and get the lay of the land before I jump into anything new.  It's funny, because once I realized that about myself, I found I had a lot more confidence in social situations - and I didn't realize that about myself until just a few years ago.  I wonder if my life would have been different if my parents had realized that about me when I was a kid and described me that way instead of labeling me as shy.  As far as being smart goes - I remember being so proud that I was smart.  Proud, that is, until I got to a math class that was really challenging for me, and instead of working hard to figure it out, I gave up because I figured I wasn't as smart as everyone always thought.  Which is exactly what the author of Superbaby says will happen.  Again, I wonder what would have been different about my life if my parents had praised me for working hard to solve difficult problems, instead of praising me for being the smart one.

We all want to be great parents, but most importantly, we all want to raise great kids.  In the end, I think I turned out alright, so it's clear there's a lot I can learn from my parents.  But in a single parent home, there's not the extra parent to balance out the mistakes, so it's even more important to me that I learn who Finn is and then learn how to be the best mom I can to him.  I think I'm going to expand my use of this space to write about the books and articles I read and how I interpret them to apply to my family.  If anyone has any suggestions for great books, articles or websites, I'd love to hear them!

25 comments:

  1. Finn is a lucky little guy to have a mom who realizes that even now he is an individual with individual traits and needs. You are a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really nice and thoughtful post. I think my parents did a pretty great job of raising my sister and myself, but of course I always felt that I would do even better with my own kid - now two years into it, I'm not so sure, lol. My sister is nearly 11 years younger than me, so I also had the perspective as a teenager of seeing how they raised her. I know each parent/child relationship is different, and my sister and I are pretty much exact opposites in personality, but I realized that I essentially felt the same about how they raised both of us - that my dad was the more "interesting/funny" one, but a little too demanding and not quite understanding enough of what small children are like and capable of. My mom was less "fun", but more lenient. I always wanted to be less strict than my dad (although he was never superstrict, both my parents are pretty laid back in comparison to many other parents) and more strict than my mom. I think so far I'm doing pretty well with that.

    Before I had my daughter, I would have described myself as an attachment parent 100%. But then she was born, and I found that a lot of the AP type suggestions just didn't work with her, a fussy, non-cuddly baby (who thankfully is now a much less fussy, more cuddly toddler - but still very challenging in some ways). Some suggestions did work, but a lot didn't. So I had to adapt my ideal parenting style to my kid.

    It's definitely an ongoing learning process, and I know I never do it just right. I make mistakes a lot, and I often find that I don't have quite enough patience as I should. But I think overall I do pretty well. I have a very strong bond with my child, even if I'm also the one who most often makes her angry. Being both the mother and the father of a child is challenging, striking the right balance between love/understanding and discipline/teaching. There is no good cop/bad cop, you are both and neither at the same time.

    Unfortunately it's hard to avoid the labels, even if you yourself don't use them. I was also the "shy and smart" kid, but not because my parents said I was. It's what the teachers and other schoolkids saw me as. I'm trying hard to not label my child as "difficult", but rather "spirited". Hopefully as my child grows older and is influenced by more people around her than just me and her daycare teacher, she will learn that she is not a label or category, but rather a complex person with both positive traits to be celebrated and negative traits to be both accepted and improved upon, like we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting topic. I like a lot of the aspects of attachment parenting, and I deal with so many people who criticize my parenting but then go on to praise my child's behavior (um, hello?). But I worry that I'm not going to do a good enough job knowing J. I'm good at cuddling and showing love, but that's not the same as knowing what he needs. And I can see myself a little like your mom, too. I need lots of time to myself, and I'm happy when J plays independently and I can get stuff done, or when I sit next to him on the couch while he watches a movie and I read. But when he's seeking my attention, I do try to give it, and I make sure that every day we play together at least briefly, and read stories.

    I also suck at the praise thing - I'm so convinced he's the best child ever, it is hard to not keep saying it. I just try to qualify it with "because you're mine", like "you are the best boy ever... because you're my son" "you are so handsome... because I love you so much" Who knows if that'll make any difference or even make it worse?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's very important to know who your child is.

    Little Miss has always been very adaptable. She had a routine, but she could follow it anywhere. She'd nap in a public place, in her stroller, wherever. She's the same now. If she has a busy day, she may need a quiet day the next day, but she's fairly adaptable. She'll play with other kids or by herself. We always had her nearby, but we didn't hold her too much or too little as a baby.

    We find that we try very hard to be consistent though. If we make a threat, we follow through no matter how inconvenient. We both agree with the other in parenting no matter if we agree with the method or not. It's just very important to have a united front with her. In that regard, you don't have to mesh parenting styles at least.

    We try to praise, but we also try to push because she's a lot like us and doesn't like trying new things or do anything she can't do well.

    We didn't read many books, but we know how our parents did and we've seen our friends and have done a lot by instinct, by discussion and frankly the opposite as we've seen others do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. Its so hard to try to find the balance. There's a book that is all about "parenting with intent" that I want to read but I can't remember the name. I'll look into it and see if I can find it. I had amazing parents and I see amazing parents all around me, as well as parents that seem to be not as amazing but what I've learned is that the best sort of parent is the one who has confidence in what they do.

    I would love for you to read books and let me know which ones to read because I'm pretty sure that come June, reading will be low on my totem pole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post because it highlights the one thing I think I'm really worried about in terms of parenting alone. Everyone else's comments that what I'm doing is wrong. I'm already prepared for the breastfeeding battle. And I've already had some comments about my plan to schedule him. But as a single mom who has to work, not chooses to, I can't even imagine how our life would be if I didn't give him structure. And yeah, I want to "wear" my baby. Why is everyone so concerned about this, I wonder? Why are they so bothered by it?

    I'll definitely stay tuned for your comments on the articles and books. I'm already planning to find a way to praise him instead of labeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon,

    Great post. I admire your ability to respect your parents style of parenting as their own, but make the choice to parent in the way that feels best for you. Thank you so much for mentioning how important it is to be mindful about casting labels on children. As an early childhood special education teacher, I've seen the difference labeling can make (even if sometimes well intentioned). Once we put them in a box, it can be hard for them to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. One book I've been reading that really has been speaking to me is called Simplicity Parenting. I don't remember the author's name at the moment, I am planning to blog about it soon, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom sounds a lot like mine! I don't have a child yet (I am adopting as a single woman), but I know I will get a lot of criticism from my parents when my child arrives, especially because children who are adopted often regress in their new homes and need to be treated as their "regressed age" rather than their chronological age. This will drive my parents CRAZY. Fortunately, we don't live close together ;)

    I really like Gordon Neufeld - "Hold on to Your Kids". He is very attachment focused, although I don't know if he considers his style "attachment parenting".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your insight and awareness about tuning in to Finn and parenting him in the best way you can, based on who he is. I've heard of the issue of labeling kids as smart or whatever too. It's interesting you recognize yourself in that scenario growing up; I think I do, as well. Hopefully, we all improve based on the new information we have. Glad you and Finn are enjoying the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was so natural and articulate at the same time. It really spoke volumes to me. You have a wonderful way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post! I don't have much to contribute about parenting, but I was nodding my head on a few things you mentioned about your parents. I think it was just a different generation, and now we know more and understand better. Finn is one lucky boy to have a Mom like you.

    Thanks for sharing that wonderful pic...I am getting addicted to seeing his cute face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post. Funny how having a child puts the magnifying glass on our own childhoods. I could write more, but I have a VERY early morning tomorrow. I think you'd really love Nurtureshock. Great chapter about the "smart" label.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great post. I like that you are able to look at your childhood and your view of it isn't negative. It's all a way to learn more about ourselves.

    I love the idea about discussing books and articles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I especially like your example of holding Finn as much as you wanted and how he is fine playing by himself now. One thing I will always remember from the child development class I took is that children under one year can't be spoiled. They aren't developed enough to understand the concept, all they know is that their needs are being met and that makes them feel safe and secure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm now reading "The Aware Baby" by Aletha Solter, I think it's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As our due date draws near, Johnathan and I have talked a lot about the kind of parents we want to be. Discussing things our own parents have done wrong and done right. It's a path only you can determine. I grew up in a single parent home and can talk about SO many things that my Dad did right. But you're right about one thing, there is difficulty when there isn't another parent to balance. I think my brothers and I turned out fantastic :) but there is one thing I've ALWAYS struggled with (my bros too). My Dad is very blunt and has little tact, and we learned that behavior. It's caused me many struggles with work and personal relationships. You could ask J about the first time we met and she can give you a great example. But don't let that weigh you down, we all make mistakes as parents and as long as Finn feels loved then you'll have done your job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post...what you said about labels really rings true with me. I look forward to reading more about the techniques & theories you'll be using. I'm starting to feel more secure in the decisions I'm making in raising Elena but hearing how other moms are doing it is helpful & reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I commend you on being able to "see" how you want to parent as a single mom. As a young parent, I'm so glad to have my husband who has had such wonderful parents, to help me break out of some of the parenting techniques that my mother used (and my sister uses also).
    But you will notice that your next child may be totally opposite of Finn. My older son could nap anywhere with no problem, whereas my younger son had to be on more a schedule. My 2 are total opposites in almost every way. LOL

    ~~SL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just read Welcome to Your Child's Brain, which, while not a parenting book specifically, is rather illuminating in terms of potentially how little parenting actually matters with MOST children, who adapt well to whatever their environment throws them (within limits...obviously not abuse or extreme poverty, etc). For other "highly reactive" kids (perhaps like your sister?) parenting choices matter more. At least according to the authors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. One big parenting issue I've thought about recently is humility, and not expecting perfection (of myself or my kids). My (single) mom tended to be someone who was "always right," and she ran a very authoritarian household. As an adult I've had to learn that I don't have to always be right, I can just not know answers, and I can and will make mistakes. Fiona is now just learning how to say "I'm sorry" for things. The other day she ponied up and said she was sorry (she had bitten me in play and I told her it hurt me and asked her to apologize). I thanked her and then reminded her of a time when I'd said sorry to her, when I did something I shouldn't have (I took away her prized underpants because she kept having accidents in them, and when she cried I immediately knew I shouldn't have and gave them right back. Ha! Bad bad Mommy! Fiona reminded me for days "Mama, you shouldn't have taken my underpants, that was a bad decision!") So we talk about how we all make mistakes sometimes but it's good to make things right if we can. It amazes me that a 2-year old really seems to get this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you show what a great mother you are (and will continue to be) just by thinking about all of these things. Finn just gets cuter and cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found myself nodding as I read this post. My mother is the strongest person I know who did not choose to be a single mother to me and my brothers but I still want to do things (and am) differently than she did. It's a bit of a struggle as she watches the kids for me a few days each week while I work and we battle sometimes on how to handle the twins but I'm determined to follow my own path, ask for help when I need it, and admit when I'm wrong and she's right. (Though I struggle with that last part. :)) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really "hear" you about the difficulty with labels! My older sister was "the smart one" and it wasn't until I was halfway through college that I realized that I was pretty damn smart, too!

    My parents both love/d their grandkids (my dad died before my daughter was born) but neither really knew how to just be with them. They don't know how to play with kids. I think this is common with the older generation. When Calliope is bigger I am going to gently encourage my mom to play games with her because I think it just doesn't occur to her.

    Also, it can be so hard to do what's right for our kids when there are other adults around who have a different agenda! I decided to put Calliope to bed on time on our last night in FL instead of going to services with my family (my brother in law is a rabbi and my sister REALLY wanted us all to come to show us off to their new congregation) and I felt really guilty... but also good when my baby fell asleep at 6:15 because she was so exhausted from all the excitement.

    It's not easy.

    As for parenting styles, I tried to read one AP book and it made me nuts, but I think I practice a mix. Today, I tried to rock poor overtired Calliope to sleep when she was crying... and it just made it worse. I tried nursing her, rocking her, singing to her. Finally I put her down and left the room... and she was asleep in just a couple of minutes. The AP folks would have me believe that i was damaging her... but the truth is that my presence was just keeping her awake and stimulated. It all depends on your baby.

    But I try to be extremely attentive to her needs, to put her to bed before she's fussy, to feed her before she cries, and to basically tune in to her more subtle communication so that she doesn't have to ever get upset, ideally. Whatever you call that... I have a baby that is so easy going and happy and well attached!

    And I know that you are sensitive and intuitive to your baby's needs as well... and that is the perfect kind of parent to be, whatever you call it!

    And i look forward to your discussion of parenting books, and also recommendations!

    Hoping you and Finn have an easy, happy, and healthy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know this is a couple of posts back, but I've been wanting to come back to it and comment as it is a really great post and I find myself wondering a lot about what my parenting style will be and how my parent's style will affect what I do. I often find myself hesitant to say "how" I will parent because I know I have a lot of lofty ideas as to the type of parent I will be, but I know there will come a day when I turn on a DVD, set BabyGirl in front of it and just say, "momma needs a moment" and all my grand ideas of no TV will go out the window.

    My style will be different from my parents. Althought there were some things that I will do the same. Interestingly it will be some of the things I hated as a kid. We didn't own a TV and I didn't drink Kool Aid until I went to college. I think my parents did a great job, and I never doubted that I was loved but there are some areas I think a different parenting style would be "better." I was thinking about this the other day and about all the ways I will be different from my parents, and then I thought, "I wonder how BabyGirl will parent her children based on how I raise her." Will there be things about my style that she'll change with her kids, maybe her style will be closer to my parent's style. Are we really improving our parenting skills with each generation or are we just doing things differently? That thought did take some of the pressure off of trying to be a better parent than my parents, and I think the important thing is that we are always looking for a "better" way.

    ReplyDelete