Monday, December 5, 2011

Home Again

Me and Finn
Me and Finn at the Gaylord Texan
We had a wonderful weekend in Texas - even though we were inside the entire time, and the only way we could tell we were in Texas was the occasional person walking by in a cowboy hat.  Well, that and all the Texas themed stuff in the gift shops.  The conference was at the Gaylord Texan; all my times in Dallas I've never stayed there before, which is a shame, because it's fabulous.  They're all decked out for Christmas, and have tons of Dreamworks themed Christmas things (like "Shrek the Halls" ice exhibit), which made me wish Finn was old enough to enjoy it.  But he did like all the lights, especially at night.  I'm so looking forward to sharing my love of travel and new experiences with Finn; he handled the trip so well, I'm really hoping he continues to be a good traveler. This weekend, it was so nice to have someone with me while we traveled, and so great to be able to see Finn during my breaks each day.

Yesterday I finally got around to going through my mail and found a notice from my bank of a denied check that they thought was fraudulent.  I checked it out online, and it turns out it was fraudelent.  It was my check, but written to someone I don't know with the memo "Oct-Nov rent".  When I got to work today, I dug out the checkbook I keep in my desk, and found that the check was taken from that checkbook, and it looks like it was just that check.  I called the bank to confirm it was a fraudulent check, and they told me I have to close out my entire account. The account I've had since 1999.  The account that I have almost every single bill tied to.  The account whose number I finally memorized last summer.  So that account is now closed, and I have to spend my lunch hour tomorrow at the bank opening a new account.  And then I'll be spending the evenings for the rest of the week updating all my other accounts with the new bank info.  I'm so glad that the bank caught it, but SO annoyed I have to deal with this.

And of course, I'm wondering who it was who stole the check.  My office is right next to the nurse's station, but out of the path of traffic in the office, so it's hard to imagine a patient could have gotten back there and had time to riffle through my desk.  I'm suspicious that it was the cleaning crew, though the woman who does most of the cleaning would never ever do something like that.  She also works at the hospital, and before I delivered Finn, she gave me her cell phone number and told me to call her if I needed anything while I was in the hospital.  She used to watch me walk out to my car when I was at the office late, to be sure I was safe, and when my car was broken into a few years ago, she was more upset than I was.  So I know it's not her.  But she's not always the one who does the cleaning.  I think I'm going to tell my office manager about it, and let her deal with that side of things.  After I file a police report, that is.

I wonder if I'm going to have to go to the police station to do the reporting, or if they'll come to me?  And I also wonder, why are people so mean sometimes?

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo! You both look great. And it sure looks like an amazing hotel. Glad you had a good time, and Finn handled the travel well.

    Bummer about your bank account. I can only imagine what a headache it is to have to change all that stuff :-( So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute picture of you guys! And the one of Finn with Santa was adoorable, too. Glad the trip went off well. So sorry about the check situation - what a yucky thing to think of someone getting into your purse and stealing a check like that. I hope on a small chance that they might catch the person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hotel looks amazing! So glad you had a nice time. :)

    How awful, though, that someone stole your cheque. People really suck sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are people so mean? That totally sucks about having to change all your banking info, what a pain. But worse is not knowing who stole the cheque & I wonder why they stole just 1 & not the whole book?

    Anyway, glad you had a nice time in Dallas. I always loved to travel at Christmas & see different holiday decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having something like that happen to me would be about the last thing I could handle right now - so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Dallas for 15 years in the 80s and 90s and I've never heard of the Gaylord Texan - but by Googling I discovered it opened in 2004, so that's why not! It does like very pretty. Everyone in Dallas seems to do lights and decorations very well.

    Glad to hear that Finn is such a good traveler. My now 2-year-old cried through half of a 2.5 hour flight at 6 months and screamed in the car from when she was a newborn until she was about 20 months, and although finally she stopped crying with every trip, if she's overly tired she will just scream inconsolably instead of falling asleep like most kids do. I am not taking her on a plane anytime soon unless it's an emergency situation! But I can't wait till she's a little older and I think we can both handle it - I really miss traveling and seeing friends in far places!

    Sorry to hear about your check, that would freak me out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was a good trip and I'm so glad that Finn traveled so well!!

    I'm sorry to hear about your check/bank account. I do find it fascinating how banks can now identify fraud so easily before it creates real havoc in our financial lives! But yes, it is a pain to change accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So frustrating!

    The Gaylord looks beautiful. We have a fancy schmancy one in DC. In the winter, they have a big old Ice exhibit that's supposed to be really nice. It's a little too big for a hotel for me, but it's super swanky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Shannon, you and Finn both look so festive, and how wonderful that he travels well.

    The fraudulent check is a PIA. Hope all gets taken care of.

    XOXO, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad your bank is on the ball. And so frustrating! I guess better safe than sorry. Also, lucky that only one cheque was taken from your book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful picture of you both! So sorry about your check being stolen... very sad. You have a wonderful bank - pretty sure mine would not have caught it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) you look awesome in that picture. I'd like to formally request more pics of you and Finn together
    2) Mean people suck
    3) Lets call TiVo and get an OfficeDoodle set up

    ReplyDelete